Assistant Manager, Tutka Bay Lagoon Hatchery
Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association (CIAA) has an opening for an Assistant Hatchery Manager at Tutka Bay Lagoon Hatchery, located in lower Cook Inlet. This hatchery is not on the road system, but is accessible by boat or plane and has amenities such as electricity, running water, phone, and internet service. Employees are expected to live on-site in CIAA housing and may be required to work variable hours in support of hatchery operations.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. Under the supervision of the Hatchery Manager, this position performs a variety of responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Assisting with fish production including egg take, egg pick, sorting, rearing, incubation tasks, and pathology
- Assisting with on-site maintenance of buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Responding to water, process, and emergency alarms.
- Directing Fish Culturists and Technicians.
- Sharing standby responsibilities with the Hatchery Manager and Fish Culturists.
- Assisting with keeping records of maintenance, water temperatures, and fish production.
- Operating boats, Bobcat, Backhoe, and UTV.
- Providing boat, UTV, and equipment training to seasonal assistants.
- Conducting safety inspections, maintaining a safe working environment, and providing safety training and orientation as directed by the Hatchery Manager.
- Responsible for all hatchery operations when the Hatchery Manager is offsite.
- Escorting visitors on hatchery tours.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of applied fishery biology, cold water fish hatchery operations, basic construction techniques and boat operations; a current CPR and First Aid certification; the ability to work in cold, windy, rainy conditions and in lowlight rooms with a headlamp; and the ability to live in a remote setting with limited access to other resources. Mechanical skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, quick on-the-spot decision making, and familiarity with computers and software such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook are desirable. Other combinations of training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for relevancy. If you believe you meet the qualifications, and you are looking for a fun, challenging, and rewarding job, then CIAA encourages you to apply. CIAA is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary range $48,615–$63,494 per year DOE. The benefit package includes health insurance (employee portion is a 5% copay), Health Savings Account with employer contribution, employee 401(k) retirement plan, vacation and medical leave. Onsite furnished housing is provided along with heating fuel and electricity. Opportunity for a two-night trip (CIAA-paid transportation and lodging) to Homer every four months.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Jess Eller, Tutka Bay Lagoon Hatchery Manager, at email@example.com and Ryan Wagner, Hatchery Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may direct questions to Jess Eller at email@example.com or (907) 312-7016.
A filled-out job application is not required for this position at this time.
Apply to CIAA positions using the online form.
Download and print CIAA job application.